Sorry, I simply couldn’t resist. It just had to be done!
I recently found Ambermist’s Newbie Blogger Initiative Weekly Challenges over at Battle Chicken. Sadly, I missed last week’s challenge topic about building your own boss, but I’ll definitely try to keep up with the upcoming topics and highly recommend fellow new bloggers to check it out!
I’ll answer this challenge as “Why do you play?” There’s so many things I love about WoW, and the things that amuse me that I have fun with far outweigh the sometimes-frustrations of the game. Here are 5 reasons (or random things) that keep me playing.
- My Characters – I’m pretty attached to all of my characters, especially those that I’ve spent xx-day’s worth of /played time on. While I don’t play on an RP server, each of my characters definitely have their own personality and vibe when I play on them. I love them all dearly! My only complaint? Wtb moar character space, plzkthx! I’d even pay $25 for an extra space. Not kidding!
- Self-Improvement & Learning – I’m always trying to improving myself and my characters — whether it’s respeccing my talents, improving my gear, maxing out profs, or even achievement hunting. Although I’ve retired from raiding (minus LFR) and play less, I still push to have my characters the best that I can possibly make them within my ability. There’s always room for improvement, and I’m always ready to learn more.
- The Small Things - I like all the detailed, small things in-game. I’ve leveled Archaeology to the max on three characters and have Associate Professor/Professor on two. I wish there were more Archy achievements! I love fishing and cooking also. Needs moar recipes! I’m so excited about cooking in MoP! I’m constantly amused by the tiny details, from the multitudes of different consumables found in-game, NPC interactions, all the critters, exploring and viewing scenery….and more. Yay for being easily distracted! ;)
- Healing – I’ll probably write about healing in more detail in the future, but it really is one of my favorite things to do in the game. Friends know me for heal spamming random people when I get bored. (Sorry, unsuspecting target!) I love how reactive it is, especially how we have to overview the whole raid but also manage priorities and/or heal assignments. I’ve always loved the “behind the scenes” kind of feel I get in all settings, too. In conjunction with #1, I’m always working towards becoming the best healer that I can be, no matter what character I’m healing on. (I even have bandages-spec ready on my rogue, ok? Just kidding…sort of! I have had to bandage a tank on a Hour of Twilight boss once, but that’s a story for another day.)
- Friends, Family & Guild(s) - And of course, the biggest motivations to keep playing are friends and (sometimes) family that decide to join me in my adventures in Azeroth and beyond! Without them or my guilds, I don’t know who I’d tell my dumb jokes to and spaz about silly things. Sometimes I’ll even just get on to chat with guildies, RealID friends, etc. while I’m working on other things in real life. To me, it’s a great way to keep in touch with people I don’t see face-to-face on a regular basis!
There are a lot more things I could list that I enjoy about WoW, but those are probably the most important ones! I do sometimes get bored of the game, but not for long. Those times are just my cue to take a quick break and do other things, but I always end up coming back to play eventually, and I expect to continue playing for quite a while. :)